Information for Candidacy
B&MB doctoral students apply for candidacy after the qualifying examination has been successfully completed. The Evaluation Committee will evaluate the student's complete academic performance and will present its recommendation to the full Faculty regarding the student's advancement to Candidacy. The full Faculty will vote on a recommendation. The Program Director will inform the Dean of the Graduate School in writing that the student has performed satisfactorily and, therefore, is eligible for advancement to Candidacy for the PhD degree.
Standards for the Ph.D. degree in BMB
- Candidates should demonstrate a general knowledge of modern biological sciences and a detailed knowledge of their area of research.
- Candidates should be familiar with the research literature of their particular area of research, should keep abreast of major developments and have the ability to acquire a working background in any area of biological research.
- Candidates should demonstrate skill in the recognition of significant problems and questions in their research area.
- Candidates should demonstrate technical and analytical skills in the laboratory.
- Candidates should have acquired oral, written and other scientific communication skills.
- Candidates should have demonstrated competence in designing experimental protocols, thinking independently and conducting productive self-directed research.
- Candidates should complete degree requirements in a timely fashion.
- Candidates should understand and practice professional and ethical standards of behavior.