Current Students Candidacy Information
Defense of Dissertation (Final Oral Examination)
- After admission to Candidacy, the student may register for Dissertation (BMB 6099). A Dissertation is required of every Candidate and it must be an original contribution to scholarship based on independent investigation.
- At least part of the Dissertation research shall be submitted for publication in peer-reviewed journal(s) prior to the student leaving the laboratory for a future position.
- Copies of the Dissertation shall be made available to the Supervisory Committee in sufficient time prior to the final oral examination to enable the members of the Supervisory Committee to evaluate its' contents. This time should normally be one month.
- The final oral examination may cover the contents of the Dissertation and the general field of the Dissertation, as well as other areas that are part of the student's Program. Successful completion of the Defense is indicated by signature of the Supervisory Committee on the Signature Page of the Dissertation and the "Report of the Final Oral Examination".
- Just prior to the Final Oral Examination, the Candidate in BMB shall present a public seminar on the topic of the dissertation.
Steps for Defense of Dissertation
GSBS Forms For Current Students